Sunday, February 7, 2010

Super Bowl Sunday

Super Bowl Sunday. A day that has grown to be less about football and more about spending time with friends and family, enjoying greasy food, throwing back a few cold ones, and watching bad commercials (plus maybe a funny one or two). This is especially true in Cleveland where the Browns have never even made it to a Super Bowl, much less won one. At least this year we can celebrate that neither the Steelers nor the Ravens are in the Super Bowl either. While I am confident the Browns day will come soon (yes, I am a major homer), we'll have to stick to enjoying good food and drinks with our family & friends for at least one more year.

I have not decided if I will make anything for the game, but if you have any delicious, quick recipes you can share with me, I'd love to hear it. Just leave me a comment or send me an email.

Below are links to a couple other sites, as well as my game day stand by.

Chef Gusteau from At the Pass is having an amazing spread at his party including lamb lollipops, a fajita bar, and a different kind of chili to represent each team. Wish I had an invite to his place!

Michael Symon's Super Bowl Blowout. Michael was featured in a Food & Wine magazine article by Michael Ruhlman two years with quite a few great recipes for his super bowl party. Be sure to try the Sriracha wings & pork cheek chili.

Bet on the Game with Cleveland Foodie. Cleveland Foodie is giving away a cooking class at Viking to the lucky commenter that guesses closest to the final score. I am rooting for Indy, 31-28. She also has some food & drink ideas for the game courtesy of Heinen's.

My Gameday Standby. We host a lot of parties for sporting events, especially Ohio State football games. I make Buffalo chicken dip for almost every party because everyone loves it. This link takes you to the Frank's Redhot recipe, which I use as the starting point for mine. I NEVER use the canned chicken they suggest and hope you don't either. Instead, season chicken legs and thighs (or breasts if you prefer) with salt, pepper, & paprika and grill them. As for the rest of the ingredients, I usually go with whatever I have on hand or remember to pick up at the store. I use some combination of cream cheese, ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing, fresh blue cheese, and cheddar cheese. You don't have to use all these ingredients, just mix what you like in and taste until you like it. This stuff goes fast so I always make at least a double batch and make it in my rice cooker, aka mini crock pot, so that I can keep it warm throughout the party. A crock pot could also be used if you don't have a rice cooker.

Be sure to come back Monday to read about Michael Symon's Shaved Fennel Salad with Oranges, Lemon, Dill, and Watercress.

1 comment:

  1. Great links! I am pulling for the Saints this evening. They have never been to the Super Bowl either (Like the Browns) and after Katrina, I would really like to see them take this win.

    I agree with you. Super Bowl for us is more about spending time with family and enjoying good food.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep the comments clean