Sunday, May 16, 2010

BBQ Smoking & Heinen's Gift Card Winner

I had my smoker working double duty today and we'll be enjoying its hard work all week.

Sweet & Spicy Smoked BBQ Pork Loin

I started with a pork loin from the pig I bought from Bluebird Meadows last fall. The loin actually had the baby back ribs still attached when it came from the butcher so I trimmed those off and was left with a beautiful roast that had a bone running through the middle. I always make my own rubs so I mixed one up with sugar (white and brown), a couple of different paprikas, "homemade" chili powder, homemade "seasoned salt", garlic, onion, allspice, cloves, and a few other spices. I generously applied the rub to all sides of the roast and put it on my Weber kettle grill at 230 degrees for 4 hours or so until the meat reached 140 degrees. After letting it rest, I sliced some of the roast and served it with grilled asparagus for dinner tonight. There will be plenty of tasty leftovers for at least another meal or two.

Chili Rubbed-Smoked Turkey Breast

We don't buy much deli meat because it's full of sodium, water, nitrates, and other stuff we try to avoid while eating. During my last trip to the Westside Market, I noticed some nice looking turkey breasts at Kaufmann Poultry that I thought would be great for some homemade lunch meat. Since I had the grill going low and slow, I decided to throw one of these on too and it couldn't have been easier to do. I used the same rub I used for the pork loin and added it to the smoker once the pork was about half done. After a couple hours it was done and I sliced it nice and thin. The meat is delicious and juicy. So much better than any turkey you can find at the grocery store and so much better for you!

Ok, enough about what I've been up to, on to the winner of the Heinen's giftcard. Random.org says.....

Lucky 24

Commenter #24, Chrissy, please email me so I can send the gift certificate to you. I will pick a new winner if I haven't heard from Chrissy in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments clean