Saturday, September 25, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup

I will be doing a review of a kitchen gadget soon, compliments of CSN Stores. In return for plugging their website selling a wide variety of dining tables and other dining room furniture, they are giving me $55 towards the purchase of anything from any of CSN's 200+ stores. What should I get???

Has it really been more than a month since I last blogged? I tell you what, I don't know my favorite bloggers have time to cook, blog multiple times per week, spend time with their family and friends, and maintain a full time job. Major props go out to all of them.

I love reading Michael Ruhlman's blog. He posts frequently and I get more cooking tips and tricks from him than just about anyone else. His post today inspired me to make butternut squash soup. I frequently make butternut squash soup but I typically use a recipe that takes more than an hour to prepare and has a long list of ingredients. Don't get me wrong, it's delicious, but lately I've been more about efficiency & simplicity in cooking rather than elaborate preparations.

Following Ruhlman's idea, I started off by dicing a large butternut squash and a bunch of cloves of garlic from our Plum Creek Farm CSA.

No, that's not cantelope, it's butternut squash

I sauteed the squash in butter in batches, making sure not to over crowd the pan. When each batch was about half way done, I added some of the minced garlic and seasoned everything with salt.

Once all the squash was done, I added it to a soup pan and covered it with 3 cups of homemade chicken stock (don't bother with the store bought stuff, use water if you don't have homemade stock). I simmered this mixture for about 20 minutes and then added it to my Vita Mix blender. Once it was velvety smooth, I tasted it and seasoned it with salt and some fresh sage and thyme, also from Plum Creek Farm.



I didn't use cream, butter or anything else to finish the soup. The soup was delicious enough with out it so I decided to keep it healthy, and let the flavors of the butternut squash and homemade stock shine.

Check back again soon as I'm working on a post about Iron Chef Michael Symon's Braised Pork Belly and will have a give away to an awesome foodie / charity event Both posts should be up this week!

3 comments:

  1. This recipe looks delicious! Every Autumn I say that we're going to designate one day a week as "soup day." And every Autumn we enjoy a grilled cheese and tomato soup on Saturday afternoon and never move past that. Maybe this recipe will finally kickstart us into making that idea a reality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about Pea Soup...? That is what my grandmother always made in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Vita Mix makes it so easy to make soup!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep the comments clean