Monday, October 4, 2010

Eat Local Challenge

Did you know it's Local Food Week in Cleveland?

 
Local Food Week is being put on by Local Food Cleveland, an action network for everyone who is passionate about growing a thriving local food economy and culture around Cleveland. It includes a lot of great events including farm tours, movies, potlucks and restaurant dinners just to name a few.

I try to support our local restaurants and farmers everyday. If you've been reading my blog from the beginning you probably know I buy most of my meat & produce from local farmers markets, auctions or directly from the farmers. What I can't get from farms, I buy from Heinen's, a local grocer that also happens to sell a lot of local products. Whether I'm in Cleveland or traveling for work, I always try to seek out restaurants with farm to table menus. One of the goals of my blog is to encourage all of you to do the same!

I encourage you all to take the Local Foods Week "Eat Local Challenge":
  1. Eat at least one local meal each day of the week and post photos and recipes on Local Food Cleveland
  2. Attend at least one Local Foods Week event
  3. Support your local farmers markets, restaurants and retail shops

Looking for more ideas how you can participate in addition to these events? Mike over at Dad Cooks Dinner gave a bunch of suggestions of how he will be "competing" in the Eat Local Challenge.

How will you bring home the gold medal in the Eat Local Challenge?

3 comments:

  1. Funny, I've been reading "Animal Vegetable Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver for a Book Club (I chose the book for this month). We meet to discuss the book over a potluck, themed around the book. This month, I'm hosting and the food theme is local food. I'll be doing some local food shopping at West Side Market and our local (Medina) Farmer's Market.
    Now, I just need to decide what to make! I've got a bunch of butternut squash from my garden... Ideas???

    By the way, if you haven't already, read Animal Vegetable Miracle. Must read for locavores and foodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carrie,

    Sorry for the delayed response. I'm guessing I'm too late, but if I'm not, check out my post here: http://www.livetocookathome.com/2010/09/butternut-squash-soup.html

    I made this delicious, simple soup out of butternut squash. I also recently made an amazing gratin out of butternut squash (it was more like a lasagna). Feel free to email me at livetocook@livetocookathome.com if you'd like the recipe or have any questions.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well its a good idea to improve the economy of the country.....because it will encourage and support local farmers.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep the comments clean