Friday, April 16, 2010

Happy Friday Foodie News

Friday is finally here in what has been an extremely long week. We are looking forward to celebrating a friends birthday at Light Bistro tonight. I hope you have something fun planned as well.

A couple of things I wanted to bring to your attention:

  1. Congrats to Carrie for winning some ramps! It sounds like she will have some very lucky dinner guests with the menu she has planned out. Check your email Carrie.

  2.  
    A delicious omelet with ramps, Mackenzie's Goat Cheese, and bacon from Bluebird Meadows Farm

  3. In case you haven't seen it yet, I was featured in an interview on channel 3 morning news this week while I made Michael Symon's famous beef cheek pierogies. I hope to have the blog post up about the pierogies on Monday but you can watch the interview here now. Warning: The pig's head in my freezer may or may not make an appearance.

  4. A Facebook fan page has been setup for Live to Cook at Home. If you are on Facebook, go to this link or search for Live to Cook at Home and become a fan to receive updates and random thoughts that I don't post on the blog. You can also follow me on Twitter.

  5. There is a great event on Wednesday at the Terrace Club at Jacob's Field that I encourage you all to attend. The sixth annual Cleveland chili cook-off benefit for the Autism Society of Greater Cleveland will be held Wednesday, April 21st from 6 - 9 PM. Admission of $20 (or more if you are feeling generous to the Autism Society) gets you all the chili you can eat, plus some great desserts. There will be more than 20 contestants from area restaurants. I acted as a judge last year and it was a great experience. I challenge you to try all 20+ chili's - it's not easy! Some of my fellow bloggers will be judging this year.

  6. This weekend is the 4th annual 420 Hopfest at the Buckeye Beer Engine in Lakewood. Stop in between Friday & Tuesday to sample 22 of the best IPA's from around the country on draft, including many that I've never seen in the Cleveland area before. I hope to stop up there Saturday afternoon/evening so say hi if you are there. This is a can't miss event if you are a hop head like me.

  7. I will leave you with this

    Bacon flavored lip balm. Make yourself taste like bacon. Sounds a little dangerous to me but I'm guessing Michael Symon buys it by the case.

Have a great weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! Got my fresh ramps and can't wait to start creating. Thanks!

    And I joined the Facebook page. Love this site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonight I made ramp risotto with wild mushrooms, arugula, thyme, garlic, shallots, and sherry wine. Served with a side of roasted asparagus. YUM! This Friday is the big dinner and there should be 8 lucky victims, I mean diners.

    Final menu:

    Ramp confit with gravlox, egg, goat cheese, and capers

    Vodka Gimlets with pickled ramps

    Spanakopita with ramps, feta, and baby spinach

    Lamb stew with ramps and baby artichokes over lemon couscous

    Strawberry clafoutis (sorry, no ramp dessert!)


    I made a Thanksgiving-style dinner for my parents using some ramps in the stuffing and mashed potatoes over last weekend. Everyone loved it!

    I am loving all these ramps and just want to give you another big THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean ramp GIBSONS not Gimlets. Ooops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I am very impressed! I definitely picked the right winner. Glad to see you are enjoying them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS Send me some pictures from the dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll definitely send some pictures your way!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep the comments clean