Saturday, April 3, 2010

Opening Day Goodies

My haul at the first day of the North Union Farmer's Market @ Shaker Square

What a beautiful day for the first outdoor farmer's market of the year at Shaker Square. There were lots of vendors and even more people. It was great catching up with my favorite farmers, chefs, and I even got to meet an awesome blogger, Heidi Robb, from Life in Recipes. Heidi was also the recipe tester for Michael Symon's cookbook Live to Cook.

So what did I buy? 5 pounds of raw honey from Ohio Honey, beautiful shiitake & oyster mushrooms from Killbuck Valley, meaty veal bones from Plum Creek, fresh apples and apple cider from Woolf Farms, homemade black raspberry jam from an Amish vendor, and grass fed beef cheeks, London Broil, smokies, and bone marrow from Millgate Farm. I really wish I could have bought some of the ramps, greens and beets Muddy Fork farm gave to Brian Doyle to use in his chef demo because they were awesome! Unfortunately we got there a little late thanks to the 45 minute drive from Avon Lake, plus an unexpected stop at the Westside Market. There were lots of other great vendors selling baked goods, pork, chicken, flowers, art, and lots more! 

North Union Farmers Market at Crocker Park opens this Saturday at 9am and the markets at both Shaker Square & Crocker Park will be open everyday until late November. Hope to see you there!

5 comments:

  1. Great to see you too, Dave! Soon the ramps will be rampant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to meet you and your beautiful family - I grabbed some of those marrow bones as well. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those mushrooms are marvelous. Time for me to get back down there and get some more. I'm trying to start a morel patch in my back yard, but I don't know if it'll work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Ohio Honey - Great to see you too. Thanks for the lip balm!

    @Heidi Robb - Great to meet you too. What are you going to do with the marrow bones? I've never cooked with them before but thought they looked good & were on sale so I bought them.

    @Jeff - Wow, I am very interested to see how your project goes. I hope you blog about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave, I will probably use the bones in stock - purchased other meaty soup bones as well with that thought in mind.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep the comments clean