Monday, January 25, 2010

Monday Supper

I recently received a subscription to Food & Wine magazine. I was browsing through the February issue recently and one dish really jumped out at me.


Braised Pork Shoulder Steak with Fried Egg, Scallions, Pickled Ramps & Hot Peppers, and Bacon Scallion Horseradish Mustard

This picture really doesn't do it justice. The chef describes the dish as a combination of two of his favorite Japanese dishes,  donburi (meat and an egg with rice) and kakuni (slow-braised pork served with hot mustard).

I followed the recipe for the most part, tweaking slightly with what I had on hand. Bluebird Meadows pork shoulder steak slowly braised in onions, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, & mirin topped with a fried egg from Plum Creek Farm, leeks from Chef's Garden, homemade bacon scallion horseradish mustard, and home pickled ramps (that I foraged last Spring) and hot peppers, all served over rice with some of the braising liquid. Wow, this was one of the best things I've ever made and it was so easy.

Here's a link to the full recipe in Food & Wine: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/braised-pork-with-ginger-pickled-shishito-peppers

1 comment:

Please keep the comments clean