Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Spicy Tomato and Blue Cheese Soup (p. 56)

Wow, the last month has been a whirlwind! I spent 9 days in Nashville for work & to visit with my wife's family, had a wonderful Christmas with my family, attended a friends wedding on New Year's Eve, went to a couple of Browns victories, threw a party for the Buckeyes big Rose Bowl victory, and caught up with lots of friends that were in town for the holiday's.

Phew, I need a vacation to get caught up on everything! Seriously. I am writing this post from a hotel room in Newark, NJ before we head to Saint Martin in the morning. My wife Beth, daughter Isabel and I are spending the next 12 nights relaxing on the the beach, scuba diving, and enjoying the fine French cuisine of Saint Martin. YES!!! I hope to have a good internet connection down there as well because, lucky for you, I also spent a lot of time cooking over the past few weeks. I made 4 dishes from Live to Cook for my family on Christmas & Christmas Eve, actually 5 but I didn't photograph the mac & cheese I made at my inlaws house so I guess I'll have to make it again.

Every year that we spend Christmas in Cleveland we celebrate Christmas Eve with my Dad's side of the family and spend Christmas Day with my Mom's. My Dad & his wife Michelle hosted us in their lovely home this year and made a delicious standing rib roast with creamy scalloped potatoes. I was asked to bring a side dish or vegetable so I decided to do a little of both and bring Michael Symon's Spicy Tomato and Blue Cheese Soup from p. 56 of Live to Cook to kick off our meal along with some delicious bread from Blackbird Baking Company in Lakewood.

I love to make soup. I make a pot every week or two once the weather turns cool. I find them so easy to make, delicious, and nutritious when you use homemade stock and fresh ingredients. This soup is very quick and easy to make. It has been a staple on Michael Symon's restaurant menus going back to his time at Players twenty years ago. Over the past couple of years I've seen it on the menu at Symon's restaurants Bar Symon, Lola, Lolita, & B Spot. I've seen the recipe posted numerous places on the web and many blogs written about it. I've probably made this soup at least 5 times before receiving the book, although I made it a little differently than the recipe in the book. So, what are you waiting for? If you haven't tried this soup, pick up the ingredients at your local grocery store or stop by one of Symon's restaurants & give it a try. Below is my most recent attempt at making it.

All the ingredients

Symon writes that the key to this soup is using San Marzano tomatoes. San Marzano tomatoes, often regarded as the best sauce tomatoes on the planet, are plum tomatoes grown in the volcanic soil of San Marzano, Italy. Their high quality and the fact that they are readily available in the canned section of your grocery store means this soup can be made year round.

The book calls for Roth Kase buttermilk blue cheese. My Heinen's did not have it when I was shopping so I decided to try the Roth Kase Moody Blue, a rich, creamy blue delicately smoked over fruit wood to create subtle smoky undertones with hints of roasted nuts and coffee. I thought the combination of spicy from the Sriracha and smokey from the cheese would play well together - I was right!

The chicken stock in the picture is homemade. If you don't have time to make homemade (it's really easy to do, try it!), I would recommend buying a good quality stock from a place like The Souper Market or even using water as suggested by Michael Ruhlman and many other chefs before using the stuff in a can at the grocery store.

 
Red onion & garlic sweating

I started by sweating some red onion & garlic in one of my soup pots.

 
Starting to look like soup

After the onion & garlic were soft & translucent, probably 5 minutes or so, I added the chicken stock, tomatoes, and their juice and brought it to a simmer. 

 
Getting creamy

Next I added the cream, sriracha, & oregano and allowed the mixture to simmer for 45 minutes or so.

 
Velvety smooth after a spin in the Vita Mix

Right before we were ready to leave for our Christmas Eve church service, I carefully poured the soup into my Vita Mix, added the cheese, and pureed it until it was smooth as velvet. The book says to run the soup through a fine mesh strainer. I did not do that and would not recommend it if you have a Vita Mix or other top of the line blender. I think the goal is to make sure any seeds or anything else that did not get pureed are removed from the soup. Prior to getting my Vita Mix I would use a stick blender and still did not strain it. The soup was not nearly as smooth as when I used my Vita Mix, but it still tasted just as good.

 
The final plating with a little extra blue cheese & Blackbird Baking Company French Epi

When we arrived at my Dad's house I poured the soup back into a pot and slowly warmed it on the stove. It traveled very well. I didn't read the number of servings the soup made until right before we left our house. The recipe said it served 4-6 people. We had 12 people for our dinner. Uh, oh. Fortunately a couple of the kids said they didn't want any and I was able to stretch it out so 10 adults / teens all got a two ladle bowl of soup and I even got to take home enough to have a bowl a couple days later. Almost everyone, even my 85 year old Grandma and a couple of the kids, loved the soup.

This soup is SOOOO good and extremely easy to make. If you are thinking about making one of Michael Symon's dishes, this is definitely a good one to start with.

One more piece of advice. Because the soup was for a large audience, including some kids, I cut back the amount of sriracha to about a tablespoon & a half from the recommended 2 tablespoons. I love heat, but even after reducing the sriracha it was still nice & spicy. If you are not a big fan of heat, I would suggest reducing the sriracha even more.

Cost
I will provide the approximate cost for each recipe in the book, as well as the source of the products used.


It cost approximately $13.28 to make Spicy Tomato and Blue Cheese Soup. The cost broke down as follows:
Red Onion - $1
San Marzano Tomatoes - $4.69
Chicken Stock - $1 (homemade)
Roth Case Moody Blue Cheese - $5.59
Misc (olive oil, salt, garlic, siracha, fresh oregano) - $1
Unless otherwise noted, all ingredients for this dish came from Heinen's 

Nutritional information:
I am not a nutrition expert but I will provide some information about the key ingredient of each dish.

There are many health benefits to eating tomatoes. Tomatoes contain compounds that have been proven to help prevent cancer, heart disease cataracts and many others. Lycopene, a carotenoid found in tomatoes, has been extensively studied for its antioxidant and cancer-preventing properties. The antioxidant function of lycopene-its ability to help protect cells and other structures in the body from oxygen damage-has been linked in human research to the protection of DNA (our genetic material) inside of white blood cells. Prevention of heart disease has been shown to be another antioxidant role played by lycopene. Lycopene has been found to help prevent cancers such as colorectal, prostate, breast, endometrial, lung, and pancreatic cancers.

Tomatoes are also a good source of vitamin A & C. 

8 comments:

  1. Glad you made this soup next. With these cold Cleveland temps as of late, I've been on a serious soup kick. This one is next on my list after attempting a recent NY Times lentil soup recipe.

    Really enjoying your journey through the cookbook. I got a copy myself for Christmas. Dying to make the bacon wrapped halibut myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great writeup and blog -- love that you include cost and nutritional info. As an aside, our kitchens look quite similar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Seeing the soup made in a couple of photos makes it look very easy. I'll have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed! I've made this as well from 'live to cook'. I've served it with rustic bread grilled with Halloumi cheese for a nice upscale version. Dee-lish! BTW...for another soup stock option, try soupbase.com. They carry some good paste bases like Minor's and they're in South Euclid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks wonderful! looking forward to following along as you cook through this book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Logging in from St. Martin where the internet is not too reliable so I will keep this short. Thank you all for reading and for your comments. Despite the bad internet connection (my how we take things for granted in the US) I hope to get another post up in the next few days. It will be the star of our Christmas day meal and it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree on the Sriracha amounts. I'm a bit fan of spicy food, but the full 2 TB. overwhelmed the other flavors when I made it. I might just half the amount next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So amazingly delicious. It's great to see you living and sharing what I'm trying to teach folks -- that eating right and eating well are one and the same! Thank you from Roxanne Sukol MD at "Your Health is on Your Plate." http://yourhealthisonyourplate.com

    ReplyDelete

Please keep the comments clean